Amebiasis is an intestinal (bowel) illness caused by a microscopic (tiny) parasite called Entamoeba histolytica, which is spread through human feces (poop)
Transmission of amoebic dysentery occurs mainly through the faecal-oral route, including ingestion of faecal contaminated food or water containing the cyst of Entamoeba histolytica. Transmission can also occur through person-to-person contact such as diaper-changing and oral-anal sex.
Risk Factors of Amebiasis
People who live in institutions, travellers who travel to or immigrants from developing countries with poor sanitary conditions, and men who have sex with men are at a higher risk of getting the disease.
Maintain good personal hygiene
- Perform hand hygiene frequently, especially before handling food or eating, and after using the toilet or handling faecal matter.
- Wash hands with liquid soap and water for at least 20 seconds, then dry with a disposable paper towel or hand dryer. If hand washing facilities are not available, or when hands are not visibly soiled, hand hygiene with 70 – 80% alcohol-based handrub is an effective alternative.
- Refrain from work or school, and seek medical advice when suffering from gastrointestinal symptoms such as diarrhoea.
Maintain good food hygiene
- Adopt the 5 Keys to Food Safety in handling food, i.e. Choose (Choose safe raw materials); Clean (Keep hands and utensils clean); Separate (Separate raw and cooked food); Cook (Cook thoroughly); and Safe Temperature (Keep food at safe temperature) to prevent foodborne diseases.
- Drink only boiled water from the mains or bottled drinks from reliable sources.
- Avoid drinks with ice of unknown origin.
- Purchase fresh food from hygienic and reliable sources. Do not patronise illegal hawkers.
- Eat only thoroughly cooked food.
- Wash and peel fruit by yourself and avoid eating raw vegetables.
- Exclude infected persons and asymptomatic carriers from handling food and from providing care to children, elderly and immunocompromised people.
How Bitter Leaf Helps
If you want to go natural with the treatment, bitter leaf is one of the powerful natural remedies you can rely on, and this is part of the reasons why this magical plant is used in numerous herbal concoctions, especially in Nigeria.
It is effective against amoebic dysentery, gastrointestinal disorders, and has antimicrobial and antiparasitic activities. The organic fraction extracts of the plant was shown to possess cytotoxic effects towards human carcinoma cells of the nasopharynx .
Or Try the Quick and Easy Way With Bitter Leaf Capsules!
Our company puts all the health benefits you get from consuming Bitter Leaf in a capsule, that way there’s no bitter taste.